[Xotcl] Re: [Xotcl] Widgets

Kristoffer Lawson setok at fishpool.com
Mon Feb 5 15:54:46 CET 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Rick Hedin wrote:

> What is your thinking regarding widgets from XOTcl?

I've been pondering the same issue, but I haven't yet required Tk so
I haven't done anything about it. Anyway, the ideas I came up with follow
on these lines:

1) Have a meta-class for Tk widgets, that automatically registers
a filter for each class it creates. This filter would reroute all
calls to an object to the actual Tk widget so that when
"$myButton configure" is called the command ".frame.b configure" is
called. Then with this meta-class created, just create the classes
for each Tk object (not really that many -- and no methods are needed
for the XOTcl classes as methods are just passed on).

2) Do the same with [incr Tk]. In fact, [incr Tcl] is enough. Then
you automatically can use [incr Tk] and all other iTcl libraries as if
they were XOTcl libraries. Could be extremely handy.

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |  www.fishpool.fi|.com
         +-> |    setok at fishpool.com       |  - - --+------
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |