[Xotcl] Re: [Xotcl] Re: [Xotcl] Probable bug: no method calls with "next" & init

Kristoffer Lawson setok at fishpool.com
Mon Feb 5 23:14:39 CET 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Gustaf Neumann wrote:

>  The "-methods" are not executed by init, but by create .  The Class
>  allocs the objects, obtains default values, calls the "-methods" and
>  finally calls init (if it was not triggered by -init in the "-methods").

Ah yes, of course. I know it's not init that does it, but I'm not thinking
of the proper call procedure. Naturally create would be called before any
init methods and it is the one doing that business (and not some abstract
feature of the language). Silly me... :P

>  If you say that the execution of "whatever" should happen before
>  init,  and you want to magically add "-methods", i would recommend to
>  refine the create method....

Yes, maybe that would be the best option. The issue stems from
the problem that I have a few different ways to create an instance
(and as I can only have one constructor I must do it some other way). This
is fine normally, but in this particular case a sub-class can only be
created in one manner and thus it should make an instance of itself
using one particular initialisation procedure of its super-class.
So if you have suggestions for that, I'd like to hear them. Overriding
create is one way, if nothing else.

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |  www.fishpool.fi|.com
         +-> |    setok at fishpool.com       |  - - --+------
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |