[Xotcl] Re: performance

Gustaf Neumann Gustaf.Neumann at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Feb 13 16:02:24 CET 2001

KL> Just for interest I implemented one of the OO tests from Doug's shootout
KL> (http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/) in XOTcl to see how it would
KL> fare. Specifically it was the method call speed test
KL> (http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/bench/methcall/). I have attached my
KL> code to this email.

KL> According to my own tests, it didn't do terribly well, but it's difficult
KL> to say whether this is a limitation of Tcl (which doesn't do very well in
KL> several of those speed tests) or just a sign that there might be some room
KL> for optimisation in XOTcl itself. Now what would be interesting would
KL> be a comparison with iTcl -- but as I don't know it I'll leave that for
KL> someone else. Any comments?

 Dear Kristoffer,

 this test is not a very good test for xotcl, but one should not
 complain about other people's benchmarks.

 Our forthcoming version will have some significant performance
 improvements (which will be for this example in the range of 5-10%,
 for other examples we have seen up to 50%). Some of the changes were
 over-aggressive, we might have to take some of these back.

 however, i tried the example of yours in itcl, and the result was
 about 30% slower than the current development version of xotcl. i am
 not an itcl expert, so i would not wonder, if if have done something
 wrong, of if someone else get some better figures by using
 a different implementation.

 best regards
-gustaf

class Toggle {