[Xotcl] knowing who is called "next"

Catherine Letondal letondal at pasteur.fr
Thu Jan 18 20:42:18 CET 2001

Hi,

Most of the time, I know what is going to be called when I peut a next
statement :
	- the class instproc method if from a proc
	- the mixin method if any
	- the superclass method
etc..

My question is the following: I have sometimes the instproc redefined at the
instance level with a proc: this is to enable the user to experiment a method on a given
object without breaking all the application (this is actually one the main
reason for me to use Xotcl). It's also a debug feature for more experimented developpers.

However, I have the "next" problem in such case: it's the instproc level which is called
instead of either the mixin or superclass method.

Is there any way either:
	- to ask by introspection who is going to be called - e.g something like:
		[[self] info next methodname]
	- to enforce it:
		classname next

I know the procsearch command, but it doesn't take a "next" argument!? I have tried :
	puts "procsearch: [[self] procsearch next]"
which gives this output:
procsearch: ::buttondata0::next
(buttondata0 is an instance for which a proc has been defined)
::buttondata0 proc

I don't see any solutions with 'info called/calling' features either?

Many thanks!

--
Catherine Letondal -- Pasteur Institute Computing Center