[Xotcl] Re: Simple example: TicTacToe

Gustaf Neumann neumann at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Mar 13 00:16:56 CET 2001

On Monday 12 March 2001 23:44, you wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I was having some trouble understanding basic things about XOTcl.  I found
> an old TicTacToe program written in OTcl (by Gustaf?) and translated it so
> it would run on Tk rather than Mofe.

 no, the program was implemented by Ralf Goertzen, who was
 teaching assistent in my former department in Essen. The only
 piece of code of this example is the pseudo-random number
 generator....

> It's self-contained, involves several
> cooperating objects, and has a simple domain.  Maybe some other beginner
> would find going through it useful.
>
> I have attached the script to this mail message.

 What you did is a very straightforward translation from
 OTcl to XOTcl and does therefore not use any new functionality
 of xotcl. One example are the names of the objects.
 In OTcl, all object names have to be global, XOTcl supports
 aggregation. I would recommend to create the engine, the
 gameport, etc. into the game object. This will make it possible
 to create e.g. 2 instances of the game, without interfering with
 each other, or this will allow you to remove a game instance
 with everything that belongs to it by a single command...

 best regards
 -gustaf