[Xotcl] Re: [Xotcl] Garbage Collector in Xotcl

Kristoffer Lawson setok at fishpool.com
Mon May 21 15:25:55 CEST 2001

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Artur Trzewik wrote:

> The main thing is to tread Xotcl objects in the same way
> as other tcl objects (Stings, Interger, Array) and use tcl garbage collector
> I thing there should be a wrapper Tcl_Obj (new Type)

You may want to read Paul Duffin's (IIRC) whitepaper on the proposed
Feather system. There are a few problems to using an OO system with that
kind of reference -based system. This is AFAIK mainly related to various
callback scripts where an actual reference to the original object
is not being stored but rather just the string. This happens at least with
commands like "after". It's not an impossible situation, but is something
to keep in mind.

I'm not quite sure where to find the paper, but I believe USENIX's website
might be a good bet.

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |  www.fishpool.fi|.com
         +-> |    setok at fishpool.com       |  - - --+------
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |