[Xotcl] RE: xotcl and tclkit

Uwe Zdun uwe.zdun at uni-essen.de
Fri Oct 19 14:02:02 CEST 2001

On Friday 19 October 2001 01:44 pm, Theado, Brian P. wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:07:31 +0200, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> > the xotcl binaries are built with tcl 8.3.2.
> > therefore it should work without compiling only with
> > 8.3.
> >
> > however, when it is compiled with 8.4, it will work.
>
> I remember that stubs support was recently added to xotcl.
> From the above, I gather stubs support is not being used
> when compiling the distributed binaries.  Is there a reason
> why not?  It seems like it is a low cost (simply add the
> "-DUSE_TCL_STUBS" compile switch?) thing to do in order to
> get the benefit of distributing more widely usable binaries.

We produce both a lib with tclstubs support and one without. Since Tcl does
not export everything we need in the stub table, we had to build some
workarounds ... these are slower than the direct calls. There's a little
glitch in linking in 0.9 binary release (we will put out a patch today), but
then it should work. So you can choose which one you want to use.

However, in Tcl versions 8.3.1 and 8.4a3 there is a crash when using the stub
library of one of them with the other Tcl version: A Tcl_FindHashEntry call
crashes before Tcl_FindHashEntry is reached. In 8.3 Tcl_FindHashEntry was a
macro in tcl.h, and it is now moved to the stub lib in 8.4. Perhaps something
went wrong in this transition.

At least, loading the stub-supported lib into the sane Tcl version functions

--uwe

--
Uwe Zdun
Institute for Computer Science, University of Essen
zdun@{xotcl,computer,acm}.org, uwe.zdun at uni-essen.de