[Xotcl] Xoctl lite tcl only version

Uwe Zdun uwe.zdun at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Jul 8 15:40:13 CEST 2002

Hi,

as far as I know, at the moment no such effort exists. In the very beginning
of designing XOTcl, we had thought about it, but actually we came never back
to this idea, though it is surely an interesting one. Our decision for the
C-based solution was mainly based on efficiency considerations. However, now
I'm pretty sure that a pure Tcl xotcl-lite would perform at a reasonable
speed. Some things would be really tricky, but in a lite version most of them
could be left out.

So the tcl only version idea is around for quite some while. If a few people
would like to help building such a lite version I would definitely
contribute, but at the moment, I fear, I don't have the time to start-off
developing it on my own ... the problem is that starting off with something
could be done relatively quick, but getting it to an industrial level so that
its accepted in tcllib would be much, much more work ...

Uwe