[Xotcl] Sense or non-sense of version-numbers.

Adrian Wallaschek adrian_wallaschek at be.ibm.com
Wed Jan 8 16:37:47 CET 2003

Hi there!

I do like version numbers, but there is a "too much" in everything.

What is the deeper benefit of having the version number for xotcl
recursively even inside the source-tree?

What actually happens for me is that now I seem to have problems building
the code because in 1.0.1
When running xotcl-1.0.1/xotclsh I do find ..../xotcl-1.0 in the auto_path
instead of the required/expected .../xotcl-1.0.1.

I haven't yet found out where it goes wrong but it looks like the $VERSION
doesn't use the revision counter in some Makefile.

The question is: why all this fuzz?

Didn't anybody else see this occurring, did I mess up anything?

Regards,
         Adrian Wallaschek

"Just when you think, life can't possible get worse,
it suddenly does!"
The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - Douglas Adams