[Xotcl] RE: RE: XotclIDE errorReport

Lehmann, Eckhard eckhard.lehmann at roche.com
Wed Apr 27 09:39:32 CEST 2005

> Example. You can use method-forwarding feature in XOTcl for
> delegating calls to objects to underlying widget.

That's what I mean...

> If you do not want to develop own XOTcl widget set there
> are no reasen to rewrite BWidget to XOTcl. XOTcl code can
> use all tcl packages (Even ITcl).

It would be better to have a special XOTcl widget set, agreed
(especially interresting for that is, that it could look like Gtk on
Linux/GNOME, look like windows on Windows and look like Mac on Man,
which isn't always true for the current Tk). But that's nothing I can do
- I don't have enough time and experience with developing widget sets, I
am only a user of these things. That's why I started to use Tcl/Tk some
time ago... because I need to solve "real world problems" quick and
painless.
I am looking for a quick and usable way to get things work. The BWidgets
are around there for some time, they are tested and mature, and many
people use them now with "plain old Tcl" in real world applications.
Okay, having a wrapper for Bwidgets in XOTcl is maybe an "only half way
solution" of the widget-problem, but it is still good enough for almost
all people who want to develop XOTcl and are searching for a set of
widgets which makes full use of the XOTcl features (like the windows
operating system: Its only a half way good operating system but it's
enough for almost all people :-)).

Combine the maturity and usability of Tk and Bwidget with the (very
interresting) features of XOTcl, so that people can derive from and
mixin XOBwidget classes and quickly get their jobs done with
XOTcl/XOBwidget - and there will be many more users of XOTcl, XOTclIDE
and Tcl itself (especially "old style Tcl'ers" are more likely to switch
to XOTcl, I think). After or parallel to that it is still possible to
start developing a special widget set for XOTcl.

That's only my opinion and I know it is better discussed on the xotcl
mailing list. That's why I post a CC to the list as well.

Eckhard ;)