[Xotcl] Re: XOTcl is great!!

Gustaf Neumann neumann at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Sep 8 11:13:55 CEST 2005

Taral schrieb:

> Well, I will be in touch with you guys on further development on my side.

good. i'll send you soon a version of xotcl with the "...foward ...
expr..." problem resolved, if you
are interested.

> By the way, I can not resist myself asking you guys about testing done
> for XOTcl. I'm planning to use it for implantable Medical Device
> hard-real time firmware system where bugs are not allowed at all.
> Reading you note about the bug in expr method, do you mind giving me a
> small update on what type of testing is done on this library and how
> much stable is it from your experience?

we have a constantly growing regression test suite. in general i think
it is generally
perceived that xotcl has a very high stability. there is at least on
company that depends
on xotcl  in their multi threaded mission critical product; we use xotcl
in our e-learning
environment, which is (based on publications) the most intensely used
e-learning
system on universities world wide (up to more than 4 mio requests from
registered
users per day). The OACS community has recentlyTIPed that xotcl should
become
part of every standard OACS installation.

before every release, we run all the regression test and complex systems
around and we
send pre-releases to core users. If you look at the changelog you will
see that most bugs
are either in "new features" or show up in "erroneous xotcl code". In
your situation i would
certainly do my own testing with my code and xotcl before burning the
code into proms.
The community will help you with problems, if you are interested in
commercial support,
we have founded recently a small company for providing support for
various of our
research products.

> Are there any plans to provide more of object relation management
> functionality in the library itself? When are you planning the next
> release?

in the next weeks.

> I was wondering about whom I'm talking to. You guys are obviously from
> Germany/Austria based on my guess from your email address. It would be
> nice to know you guys little more to help the communication. Do you
> guys have any personal webpage? I don't have one myself :(   But now I
> feel like I should have one. So I will try to put up one sometime soon.

you will find my face (and uwe's) easily via google

best regards
-gustaf neumann