[Xotcl] TIP #257: Object Orientation for Tcl

Gustaf Neumann neumann at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Sep 27 02:09:24 CEST 2005

Kristoffer Lawson schrieb:

> First, I want to say I'm very excited about this TIP. If this goes
> into 8.5 I'd really like to see a big concentrated effort to get Tcl
> back on the map.

hi folks,

a few words from our side: it's great news that more or less all of
xotcl (modulo name changes)
is contained in the TIP. This is the third version that i saw, and it
improved from
iteration to iteration. It has still a couple of errors, and what i
think mis-conceptions
(i mostly agree with kristoffer), and i would think that three more
iterations, some deeper
looks  and some more discussions would have been a good idea.

However, there seem to be some reasons for the rush, and alltogether,
the tip is far
from being approved. The integration with the core would help to make
things differnt as we did, being an extension. In many respects i would
like
to see a stronger conversion between xotcl and tcl, using objects as core
entities replacing namespaces, or providing better interfaces to
procs/methods
etc, but  this does not seem possible on the short range.

I am also not sure, what the TIP means for us, the xotcl core team; or
whether the tcl core
team will start implementing oo::tcl from scratch or mangling the xotcl
code base. Some aspects
of the TIP will change in the implementation process, i would expect an
even stronger
conversion, so it is hard to say what's left for pure xotcl.

It is certainly interesting for us to know, what you like most from the TIP.
maybe it would be a good idea to make an xotcl workshop.

For the time being, we do business as usual, and improve xotcl. i think
we have now
the final version of xotcl 1.3.7, which should be out this week.

Kind regards
-gustaf neumann