AW: [Xotcl] destroy invoked by object move?

Scott Gargash scottg at atc.creative.com
Sat Mar 18 19:56:26 CET 2006

xotcl-bounces at alice.wu-wien.ac.at wrote on 03/18/2006 01:45:12 AM:

> On 18 Mar 2006, at 02:48, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
>
> > so, now we can test the aliased content. it behaves in many respects
> > the same, but when  it comes to refer to "self" or to namespaces
> > one would notice a different behavior:
>
> Could this kind of system be used throughout XOTcl and thus have
> [self] return the alias too, instead of the actual instance? As
> mentioned, this could potentially solve the issue with object movement.

I was wondering the same thing.  What would be the impact on XOTcl's implementation if an object's
location in Tcl's namespace hierachy was invariant, and user access to the object was always
indirected through an alias?  I would guess that it's not worthwhile just for "move" functionality,
but would this guarantee make any other things possible, easier, or more efficient?

      Scott