[Xotcl] XOTcl 1.5.4 available

Jeff Hobbs jeffh at activestate.com
Tue Aug 14 20:13:44 CEST 2007

Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> Major changes relative to 1.5.4 are:
>       + provided compatibility with Tcl 8.5
>           (currently, this requires the verison of Tcl 8.5
>          from CVS head, including the changes for VarReform

 From what I understand of the patches, this is all done for
source-level compatibility.  IOW, you compile with 8.4, it works with
only 8.4.  You compile with 8.5, it works only with 8.5.

This represents a problem for distro developers (such as myself) because
we base our extension compiling on 8.4.  The ActiveState teapot is
populated with 8.4-built extensions, all working on the assumption that
stubs is our friend.

I know that some extensions poke deeper (especially OO ones), but we
were able to maintain binary compat with itcl.  Even if it is only a
special compile-time option, I'd like to encourage looking for a binary
compat (stubs supported) solution, as it will make it easier for the
transition users that will be more prevalent as 8.5 stabilizes.

Jeff