[Xotcl] info subclass

Kristoffer Lawson setok at scred.com
Mon Apr 26 16:37:33 CEST 2010

On 26 Apr 2010, at 11:04, Stefan Sobernig wrote:

> Well, there is a slight difference between the [package] and TEA
> versioning schemes. While for [package] version numbers,
> compatibility is only indicated by the major version number (*1*.2.0
> vs. *1*.6.0), this is not a strict requirement for TEA version
> numbers. Here, as for the Tcl versioning (8.*4* vs. 8.*5* vs. 8.*6*
> vs 9), the minor number can indicate possible incompatibilities. I
> do not say that this distinction between [package] and TEA
> versioning makes any particular sense (apart from the Tcl stubs
> mechanism, probably). XOTcl has always followed the TEA approach
> from what i can tell and, while being very keen to avoid backward
> incompatibilities, does not give firm guarantees here.

Hm, I don't believe that is correct? In Tcl the minor number should
not indicate incompatibilities to the script at all. Basically all 8.0
scripts should run fine on 8.5. At least I can't think of any cases
where this has not been true, and that's the main reason why some TIPs
have been considered for 9.0 and not earlier.

--
Kristoffer Lawson, Co-Founder, Scred // http://www.scred.com/