[Xotcl] Very severe limitation in XOTcl

SImon Millward simon at tcbventures.com
Wed Aug 4 18:50:10 CEST 2010

Isn't it fair to say that by design, any dynamic language has such possible traps and pitfalls... (although this one is especially awkward). You don't need to try very hard to make TCL fall over in all sorts of ways like this.

The question I always ask my teams when something like this comes up is
- Why didn't the unit tests catch it
- What 'stock' unit test will we add in future to catch it

> It's very easy to miss, as it's quite natural for a coder to pass in arguments directly to constructors.

Its quite hard to miss if you TDD it...

Over a fairly short period of time you soon have a nice set of unit test classes that always try an throw up these sorts of problems. Probably about half a dozen small tests that pump in 'iffy' stuff to a method covers it.. and because of the beauty of typeless (or stringly typed) languages than can be readily used without modification

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Regards
Simon