[Xotcl] For anyone who wants their XOTcl instantiation safer

Kristoffer Lawson setok at scred.com
Thu Aug 5 23:28:44 CEST 2010

On 5 Aug 2010, at 20:59, Gustaf Neumann wrote:

> you have lost all means to pass a value for "animal", except when you
> pass it to init (i know "new-with" is different). One can can certainly
> say, the first argument passed to init is the "animal", then default
> handling is ugly (in the general case) and you have to deal with ugly
> positional arguments. This technique does not scale:
> What, if one inherits additional parameters from a superclass
> (of Foo), or when the superclass is extended? If every argument
> to init corresponds to a parameter, one has to extend the signature
> of the involved init methods. Adding arguments is not really an
> option when the parameters are provided via mixins, or when
> the object-class and class-class relationships can changed dynamically.
> Another issue is passing arguments of init to superclasses via next.
> If the inits of the superclasses have different signatures, the
> code becomes error prone.

Gustaf, I'm not sure what you're getting at as that is exactly what [new-with] is for. With that I can do parameterisation outside of [init]. The idea is that then it is completely explicit that that is what I wish to do, and it has a fixed argument within which that takes place. So I use [new] when I do not need parameterisation (so I don't have to give an empty argument for [new-with]), and then [new-with] when I want parameterisation. Thus both cases are safe and explicit.

To reiterate: [new-with] is a script executed within the Object's environment (with [eval]) before [init] is called. Its job is to configure the object. It thus does mostly the same job as the normal parameterisation, but with a different approach.

The only reason for [new-with] is that I could not come up with another way to make absolutely explicit what the intention of an argument is, without bad data causing issues. That is why I was rambling with the list of suggestions, with different solutions. Each option could be made to work, so just a matter of taste.

I ended up with [new] and [new-with] for my own code for now, but offered the other options in my mind for discussion.

> My hypothesis is, that arguments for init are the poor men's
> approach for object parameterization, if one has nothing better.

Indeed, which is why I did not want to take them away. Perhaps this experiment of mine won't work well in practise. In particular, passing values from variables into the [new-with] script might end up being a nuisance. But for now it gave me peace of mind.

> Arguments to contructors come more often into discussion
> when porting c++ style  programs to xotcl, rather than
> from intrinsics needs when coding in xotcl.

You may be right and that I should be using parameterisation more. Of course even then you do need to be careful what you pass.

> *Class create*  Stack {
>
>    *:method init*  {} {
>      *set*  :things ""
>    }
>
>    *:method*  push {thing} {
>       *set*  :things [*linsert*  ${:things} 0 $thing]
>       *return*  $thing
>    }
>
>    *:method*  pop {} {
>       *set*  top [*lindex*  ${:things} 0]
>       *set*  :things [*lrange*  ${:things} 1 end]
>       *return*  $top
>    }
> }

Hm, am I right in assuming the *s are just something funny when you copy-pasted from your editor, or is the plan actually to have it look like that? I can feel a few eyebrows being raised if so! :-)

--
Kristoffer Lawson, Co-Founder, Scred // http://www.scred.com/